MEET THE THIRD WAVE
The 3rd Wave is a powerhouse wavetable synth with an epic, modern sound. It boasts 24-voice polyphony and 4-part multi-timbral performance capability that’s like having four independent synthesizers at your fingertips.
Each of its 3 oscillators per voice can be:
- A classic PPG-era wavetable
- A modern, high-resolution, harmonically complex wavetable
- An analog-modeled waveform
In addition, you can create up to 64 custom wavetables of your own using the 3rd Wave’s Wavemaker™ tool which features sample to wavetable capability. Connect an audio source to the built-in audio input and generate a wavetable at the touch of a button. Wavetable synthesis has never been easier — or so open-ended.
CLASSIC MEETS MODERN
While the 3rd Wave has roots in the classic digital wavetable synths of the past, it takes that concept firmly into the 21st century with a lush, expansive sound that’s a product of its expanded wavetables and warm, organic-sounding analog filters. It boasts not only a punchy, Dave Rossum-designed 2140 analog low-pass filter with variable saturation, but a second, SEM-style state-variable filter (low-pass, high-pass, notch, and band-pass) for additional tone-sculpting. Run both filters in series for even more harmonically complex textures.
4-PART MULTI-TIMBRAL POWER
With 24-voices, the 3rd Wave has enough power to handle even the most note-intensive performances. And that polyphony really comes into play with its ability to layer up to 4 parts or create 4 independent split zones — each with a completely different sound, sequence, and dual effect. Each stereo part has independent panning, volume, and a dedicated stereo physical output. And because each of its 3 wavetable oscillators per part/voice has its own 6-stage, loopable wave envelope, you can create evolving soundscapes of almost unimaginable complexity — whether you’re playing a single sound or a 4-part layer.
SEQUENCE NOTES, SONGS, AND PARAMETERS
The 3rd Wave’s sequencer is an inspiring tool for both composers and sound designers because it’s pattern based and can sequence notes, songs, and parameters. Sequencing changes in filter cutoff, envelope shape, effect settings, or any number of other parameters is as simple as pressing Record and turning a knob while a real time click keeps you in time during the recording pass. For composing and performing, enter notes and chords in real time with or without quantization for maximum groove and arrange up to 24 patterns of up to 32 measures in length into songs just as easily. Because the synth is multi-timbral, each of its 4 parts/layers has its own sequencer track. You can also perform in real-time on the keyboard while a sequence or song plays. Looped overdubbing of notes or parameter changes lets you build complex patterns fast and never slows down your creative process.
MODULATION, EFFECTS, AND MORE
The secret weapon of any synth is its modulation matrix, and the 3rd Wave doesn’t disappoint there. With 16 freely assignable slots, 12 additional fixed-source slots, 27 sources, and 114 destinations, you’ve got the flexibility of a modular. You can immediately connect most sources and destinations by simply turning a knob. For more esoteric routings, the display provides an easy-to-navigate grid.
The rest of the 3rd Wave’s arsenal of sound-shaping tools are rounded out with two digital effects per multipart, two auxiliary envelopes, and four LFOs for more modulation. And all of this power is packaged in a robust, all-metal chassis with a premium 5-octave, semi-weighted Fatar keyboard.
The 3rd Wave — wavetable synthesis that will keep you inspired.
3 oscillators per voice
analog low-pass filter
Built-in Wavetable Maker
3 High-resolution Digital Oscillators Per Voice
- 32 classic, PPG-legacy wavetables with 64 waves per table
- 48 high-resolution custom wavetables with 64 waves per table
- Slots for a total of 64 high-resolution user wavetables
- 7 high-resolution modeled analog waveforms (sine, saw, triangle, supersaw, pulse, and continuously variable color noise)
- Linear FM
- Unison with variable voice count
- 6-stage wave envelope per oscillator with variable time and position that can be looped
- Optional wave flow for smooth or stepped wave transitions
- Per-oscillator glide
- Oscillator Sync
Analog Low-pass Filter
- Dave Rossum designed, classic, 2140 low-pass resonant filter
- 24 dB per octave slope
- variable saturation amount
- optional resonance compensation
- 12 dB per octave slope
- Continuously variable between low-pass, notch, and high-pass, operation with optional band-pass mode
4 ADSR+ Delay Envelopes
- Filter and Amplifier envelopes switchable between exponential and vintage PPG-style response
- Freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- Two Auxiliary envelopes freely assignable to modulation destinations
4 Low-Frequency Oscillators
- Triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, pulse 1, 2, 3, pulse 3, sine, and random (S&H)
- Variable delay
- Note reset
- Syncable to master clock BPM
2 Digital Effects
- BBD, stereo delay, tape delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, distortion pedal, rotating speaker, ring mod, room reverb, hall reverb, super plate reverb
- Syncable to master clock BPM
- Parameters modulatable via mod matrix
Built-in Custom Wavetable Maker
- “Sample-to-wave” functionality. Connect an audio source to the 3rd Wave’s Audio In, press “Make Waves” and the synth samples the audio to create a custom wavetable
- Samples to convert can also be brought in as a 96 kHz wav file through USB
- Store up to 64 custom wavetables
- 64 waveforms per wavetable
- Accepts pitched or un-pitched material as input
- 96 kHz sampling rate
- 16-bit resolution
- 1024 cycles per waveform, converted automatically to cover entire keyboard range
- Flexible wave-sampling length